The Ruins of Myvolia

New Evidence





The devil in the back room of Kayman Solundra’s home has been vanquished. The party has split up to systematically search the home to find any incriminating evidence of involvement with Septum of Able or a clue as to his current whereabouts.

Sunbow and Jabilo searched the back. Sunbow noticed a trap door under the rug and the shackles with golden ruins on the bed. Jabilo found a very expensive assortment of lab equipment mandatory for creating potions, scrolls, and wondrous items.

While Sir Lucius and Sir Dayton took to the front room, an apparent store front for the magical wares of the owner. The place looked empty all of the display cases displayed nothing (yet were still fire trapped). During the search a large noble looking half-hound half-man creature asked the two knights to stop and leave the premises.

Hound archon for paizo by michael jaecks

A conversation ensued. Lucius explaining how Kayman is wanted in connection with crimes including: multiple murders, theft, and now association with the demonic. The noble hound addressed himself as Samuel and stated he knows nothing of these transgressions and that he made an honorable deal with Kayman to guard this room…an agreement he intends to keep.

Samuel speaks:

Look, the only reason you two are not dead right now is that I saw the symbol of Pelor on your surcoats. It is not very often I treat will people who break into properties and start destroying the interior. I need you all to step out the front door, as I am honor bound to enforce, in the eyes of all that is good. If Kayman is guilty I will suss it from him; but, in the meantime, I am bound to honor the agreement…just as he is. I need far more than your word to break that bond.

He tips the point of his sword to the ground and motions with his head to the front door, then looks at Jabilo and Sunbow at the back door and directs with his eyes for them to follow.

Comments

Sunbow will try to place the creature (though I suspect you will ask for a knowledge:planar check, so he will be unsuccessful) and, respecting the honour and nobility emanating from the being, will carry his large, rune-encrusted shackles past the being and toward the front door, hoping that the others will follow. He makes sure that the hound-man gets a good look at the bonds he carries as he passes, but will only directly engage him with a solemn nod of respect as he passes.

New Evidence
 







Lucius stands firm.

You claim to be a creature bound by what is good and noble, but conveniently put that aside in the face of an agreement made to one who cavorts with devils, murders the innocent and practices dark arts. I must know where Kaymar Solundra went and whether he is in the company of the dwarf Septum. There is more at stake here than you know.

The dwarf stole an idol, a heathen symbol that I suspect is largely responsible for the violence and death that has plagued these lands. While I do not sense any malevolence in you, I can not allow any shred of evidence escape my purview. You have my word as a servant of Saint Clevoy, Saint Lucius and Almighty Pelor that I shall not disturb nor remove any more of Solundra’s property, but I shall not leave until I know of his location.

If these terms are unacceptable to you, then I tell you to stand ready for combat.

Lucius rests his hand next to his sword hilt, his eyes unflinchingly focused on the archon, awaiting his response.

New Evidence
 





Sunbow: You have no knowledge of this creature. But, you assume it has been summoned and it is celestial. You know it would take a powerful druid to summon this creature simply because of the creature’s obvious intelligence.

The Hound Archon, Samuel, watches Sunbow cross the room. He speaks a very foreign sounding language just before Sunbow reaches for the door handle. The door opens easily and you see the milling of all the volunteers: unsure as to what is going on…but they all seem ready for a fight. Samuel pays no notice to the shackles but looks calculating at the various totems and components you possess.

Well knight of Clevoy, follower of Pelor, it seems we are both stuck beneath the bonds of duty. We either come to a solution or let the chips fall where they may.

Either you serve enough evidence for me to break my bonds or I serve enough evidence for you to break your bond…I don’t see that happening. My duties are codified very precisely: are yours? I am to rebuff all intruders. Does this world have any legal systems in play that would warrant this entry? If you were to leave and I were to invite you in…

I’m already feeling uncomfortable thinking about the language of my agreement over the intent. Let us make an effort…because I assure you…you will need those men outside to test your fate with me.

New Evidence
 

Sunbow reaches the door, and tosses the shackles into the dirt outside by the footpads. He retrieves a totem from his belt, and hold it out for the man. “I would leave you this, sir, if you’ll accept it,” he says, adding, “You must miss your lands, wherever they may be, and I welcome you to ours, despite our seeming intrusion…” trailing off, waiting for a response before continuing.

New Evidence
 





Samuel briefly looks at the gift and then looks back to Lucius and Dayton.

I thank-you for the token and sentiment, noble shaman; but, at this moment it behooves me to lower my guard. The best you can do for this situation is to leave this room—and convince your friends to leave as well. Please, exit out the front door.

Samuel then relaxes his wrists for a moment before resuming a readied fighting stance.

New Evidence
 

“They make their own decisions, I’m afraid,” Sunbow sighs. “Their decisions are made in the interest of what is good in this world, I promise you,” he places the totem on the nearest surface that isn’t floor, and adds, “And I have a sense that you do as well. I will leave you to your bloodshed, if that is what must occur…though it saddens me,” and leaves the room through the front door, as he was asked.

New Evidence
 







This land is governed by my brotherhood, and I have been appointed by its local leader to find the dwarf Septum and his associates. I assure you that I stand well within my mandate. I believe that you and I serve the same powers and I do not seek confrontation with you. My honour has grown less prickly with time. If it would soothe your conscience for me and my companions to leave the premises and re-enter as your invited guests, then I whole heartedly agree.

Lucius motions for Dayton to lower his axe.

Perhaps you could aid us in finding Solundra’s whereabouts.

New Evidence
 

Jabilo pipes up:
Samuel, are you aware that the exit you suggest is protected necromantic magic designed to harm those that pass it’s threshold? Or can you guarantee that it is only only keyed to affect those who enter not those who exit? Secondly this may be a stretch; but are you bound to protect this whole structure or only that room?
Unlike my more zealous counterpart here I have no interest in defiling Kayman’s property. Quite the contrary I hoped to find the evidence against him inaccurate. We still may despite the separate though no less despicable act of act of binding devils to this place. though I must say this has very much soured my aspirations of befriending him…
Jabilo will make no move to enter the front room.

New Evidence
 





Samuel looks over at Jabilo.

The ward has been lifted. I know the key. There was a time…long ago, when necromancy simply meant asking the early departed what the future holds.

He looks at you quite intensely.

Yes. I am to protect this room only. I pray you don’t intend to use this information for ill.

He nods.

That is good. I too am not convinced of his guilt…I have looked at his soul…and he means well for the world.

Samuel looks back to Lucius.

If it pleases, let us treat out the front door.

He stops and holds his hand graciously toward the door while placing his greatsword into its scabbard. He looks at Jabilo expectantly in the same manner.

As far as I know Kayman was off to Haven to trade with his friend Nilander. Other wise he should return in a few days.

New Evidence
 

Davies nods

New Evidence
 

Lucius walks out the front door, turning to Sunbow and Jabilo once outside.
If Samuel is not tasked with defending the rest of this building beyond the front area then I would suggest that the two of you accompany Sir Dayton in completing the search of that portion of the premises. I will remain here to see if we can come to a accommodation regarding access to the rest of the building.

*Turning to Samuel Lucius says, *
Is there any information that you can give concerning a group of human mercenaries and a dwarf of Sundaria that may be accompanying Solundra? Do you know his purpose in Haven or what he seeks from this Nilander? Most importantly,do you know Solundra is still in the company of the Sundarian?

New Evidence
 

Sunbow isn’t about to go around back and start rifling through the back rooms again just because Samuel is only charged with guarding the one room, so I’m going to need this to progress a bit further in the conversation before I make a move anyway.

Also, I’m Volkswagen shopping, so I can wait.

New Evidence
 

Jabilo smiles, and walks to the front door to leave.

New Evidence
 







When he sees that neither Jabilo nor Sunbow are moving to search the back, Lucius will roll his eyes and turn to Sir Dayton.

Take three men and search the rest of the back area for anything that may confirm that Solundra went to Haven. Look for anything that may indicate what plans he may have had for an idol, or where they were to take it. Do not cause any harm to the property and take nothing that does not pertain to our investigation or that is not evidence of Solundra’s involvement in the crimes committed.

New Evidence
 





After the last of you leaves the room Samuel walks up to the threshold and is careful not to step past it. He looks at the men gathered and at Dayton and the other three heading to the new entrance. He then lowers his head and shakes it slowly.

I guess I am a fool.

He then straightens his back, checks the strap of his greatsword, and looks Lucius in the eyes.

Sir knight. Welcome to the home of Kayman Solundra. I’ve been given charge of its protection while he is away on business. Please, if you have the authority, you may enter and search the building…so long as none of the property is damaged or removed.

He again, waves his arm to gesture consent to enter and steps back a step.

I know nothing about a dwarf and human mercenaries. I know little of his relation with Nilander save for the fact they are both wizards. I don’t know the company Kayman is currently keeping.

I do know that he received a letter the day before he left. Getting a letter is a rarity for Kayman. I assume it is either in the back or on his person. Please, again, don’t damage any of the property…he looks meaningfully at the damaged display case. I will feel obligated to react, because as I see it right now, we are both equally right and equally wrong about the guilt of Kayman…without evidence.

New Evidence
 







Lucius nods his head gratefully. You have my word that we shall cause no further damage to this property, nor shall anything be removed without your approval. Sir Dayton, take your men and search the sleeping chambers.

Turning to Sunbow and Jabilo. If you are finally satisfied, perhaps you two could search the laboratory for this letter. I shall continue my search of this front area.

If Solundra is guilty, I shall prove it. he says quietly to Samuel as he walks past the celestial to complete his search of the front area.

New Evidence
 

Sunbow will take up the totem he offered earlier, and bring hand it to Samuel.

“Take this, if you will, as a welcome to our land. May it be a comfort to you in what must be an uncomfortable and confusing time in your life, friend. My hope is that you see every moment as an opportunity for appreciation of life,” he pauses to reflect on this statement for a moment, “as I have somewhat forgotten at times.”

He then will head toward the back and see what he can do about getting into the hidden basement he found the entrance of under the rug.

New Evidence
 





Samuel takes the totem and tucks it into one of his belts.

Thank-you Shaman, I appreciate the token and sentiment. We all must fight our own battles; but it is good to know that there are others who will stand by your side.

He looks around the room and steps back another step further.

Please be careful: I have the keys to the wards in this room; but, I don’t have the keys to the wards in the rest of the home. I imagine, if Kayman went through the trouble, and great danger, of harnessing a barbazu there will be other safety measures.

He watches as everyone walks through the room and when it is just Lucius and him standing in the display room he speaks.

Though, I’m not sure what is to be gained, I will show you what I’m truly guarding.

He walks over to the back of the room, right before the back display case, and jumps up and grabs the tip of a rope that, seemingly, was just hanging in mid air. A long coil of rope unravels and he climbs to the top and disappears into thin air. You hear his disembodied voice call down.

Please climb the rope and I will show you what belongs in this room.

Meanwhile the others start rummaging through the main living chamber and the lab. Sunbow walks over to the trap door under the rug. Moves the rug aside and examines it. There doesn’t seem to be a lock…but it could be guarded magically.

Dayton finds a letter on a nightstand by the bed. It reads:

Dearest Master Solundra,

I am writing this letter on behalf of a good friend of mine. The messenger of this missive should also have given you a Sandorian note worth a great deal of gold. It should be more than enough for payment of the transaction I am requesting; but, if it isn’t, please visit the Drunken Monkey Inn the next time you are in Haven. Ask for Ventrum and explain the situation: bring this letter.

I have a need to purchase some of your wares and a bit of your time. A famous merchant and adventurer friend of mine has come across the vindictive end of the lizardfolk nation (something I think you can relate with) and he will be coming through Doubt, hopefully by the 18th. He will have a certain amount of supplies and usually has a contingent of bodyguards to keep his head on his shoulders. He goes by the name of Septum.

What I need from you:
Six healing potions
Two potions of invisibility
Two potions of levitate
Two potions of gaseous form

I’m not sure of their condition, or the speed they will need to be travelling at, but I would like you to meet them at the Westbridge. This is where I need to purchase your time. I know they should be getting to doubt in the evening, but I’m not sure at which time. So, if you are able to wait at the bridge from after the fall of the sun to the hour past midnight it would be very helpful. Then I would humbly request you travel with them to Tek at the very least. I’m afraid they might be pursued and their enemies are very crafty. Their enemies have been known to don disguises that are even able to fool the local authorities. That is why we are requesting your help rather than the help of any local constabulary. If you are unable to attend, please send an apprentice, or another with your unique capabilities. I feel because of the danger and deception involved we need the help of an accomplished arcane.

Thank-you so much for your help,

Granbian

Jabilo, you are practically salivating once you realize the number of theoretical books are on the shelves. Though, there seems to be an absence of spell books, the sheer number of resources here would help you learn to develop all kinds of magical equipment. As well, you see a small rusty iron sphere sitting on one of the shelves…you don’t have your detect magic…but if you had to guess you think it is some kind of version of iron bands used to entrap creatures. Adding up all of the information, the lab, the books, the items…you feel that this man must be able to cast spells, at least, of the 5th degree.

New Evidence
 







Lucius swallows hard, contemplating the obviously arcane nature of the rope. Unwilling to show fear in front of Samuel, he scrambles up.

Dayton carefully rolls up the parchment, turning back to find Lucius. He stares disbelievingly as Lucius’ feet disappear up the rope. He mutters about far too much magic and waits for Lucius to return.

New Evidence
 

Jabilo will attempt to relate the following to Samuel while the others attention is elsewhere:
Please relate my apologies for these intrusions to Kayman should you see him before I am able.
While I am fairly sure he is not entirely innocent in current events, it is likely that his part in events may prove to be more in the right of things that even perhaps my own to this point.
I need to speak with Nilander as soon as I can. It is imperative I discover what is happening here and put things right before the rift is torn even wider…

Jabilo will carefully search the area he is assigned delighting at the treasures he discovers. But treating the items with care and respect. He will take the runed shackles and place them on the shelf neatly place them next to the rusty sphere.
None of the items here pertain to our investigation.

Do any of the books relate to obviously blasphemous subjects of practices? (not from a lucidian view, just a more general evil standpoint (summoning and binding evil beings for example)? Can I divine anything of Kayman’s interests based on the library he has amassed?

Samuel, could we make an arrangement with you to defend the contents of this room as well until such time as Kayman returns or we return with proof of his guilt, imprisonment, or unfortunate demise? if you would deem it necessary I will move the valuable items into the showroom.

Sunbow, are you able to repair the damage we did to the to the wall here?

OOC: I’m pretty sure we have run across Granbian before. The name rings a bell. Could I get a reminder of what if anything we know about him? I had a look at the posted npc’s and he wasn’t there…

New Evidence
 

“I can return the wall to it’s original shape, but not until I rest. Right now I am wondering if by opening this hatch I will be engulfed in flames. It seems to be one of Kayman’s favourite techniques.”

casts detect magic

New Evidence
 





You met Content Not Found: granbian in Kembe.

Jabilo, you are able to talk briefly with Samuel after Dayton and his men walk through and before Lucius steps up next to him. Samuel nods in consent and states further,

It is unfortunate how the events have unfolded. I don’t know Nilander, nor have I ever met him; but, I’m sure you can find him…as I understand it, he is a merchant.

Lucius, you climb the rope and find yourself entering a well furnished room full of shelves, an overstuffed chair and a small cot. There is wood paneling over each wall, and strong hardwood floors. When you look back in the direction you came from you see a framed 3’ by 6’ window looking down into Kayman’s display room. You get a quick shiver of vertigo as you realize you are in the room…but not in the room at the exact same time. This isn’t just an invisible tree-house…it seems to be extra space inside of space.

Shaking off your uneasiness you examine the shelves. The shelves are filled with bottles, vials, and gourds with small labels on them that you can’t read. There are also two rings, a long sword, a set of chain mail, and a large steel shield. Sitting at the top of the shelving is a small silver statue of a raven. You count 25 different labels in all…but don’t notice anything that would tell you where Kayman might be.

The armor and weapon appear to be of masterwork quality and a lot of attention was paid to not only the functionality of the pieces but to the beauty.

I’m not sure what any of this could possibly tell you, but out of transparency…and cooperation, I thought I should show you. So, if you please, let us head back to the display room.

Climbing back down, Dayton presents Lucius with the letter.

Jabilo, you most certainly find a significant amount of information on summoning and about the different kinds of planar creatures one could call. Several books on binding and and containing planar creatures, and a great deal of information on creating magical items tied to the planes of existence. You would not guess that he is a specialist—most of the books are so formal and structured as to be beyond the cult-like aspect one associates with demon binding. All of the books look scholarly as opposed to ritual based.

Jabilo follows Dayton into the display room and sees the two figures climbing down and Dayton handing the letter to Lucius. When he asks Samuel about protecting the rest of the home.

I would be happy to help protect the rest of the household; but, the structure of our agreement is such that it would tarnish our agreement if I leave this area without Kayman’s leave. I’m not sure if he meant to be that precise about the agreement…but that is how I read it and feel honor bound to comply.

I will keep my eye open and do my best to protect the whole home within the confines of my agreement; but, it might be best to leave a couple of men to patrol the outside so as to avoid any further trouble. I would feel compelled to alert you when Kayman returns home…but I imagine you would like another set of eyes just to be safe.

Sunbow, you cast detect magic after three round of concentration you detect five enchantments: one on the door, and one on the frame, and then three beyond the door.

You are positive the door is trapped with a fire trap, you are fairly sure the frame is enchanted with a sleep symbol, and you think there are three protection from evil circles beyond the trapdoor.

So, similarly guarded as the front gate to the compound.

Two of the volunteers are staring at you strangely…wondering what you are doing. While the other seems to have picked up an iron ball and is tossing it up in the air. While Dayton and the others are in the front room discussing something. You hear Jabilo call back asking about fixing the ‘new’ door and you tell him about the days wait.

You also notice that the shackles you threw onto the front lawn are now sitting on the top of the shelf next to where the volunteer picked up the iron ball.

New Evidence
 

For some reason the link to Granbian isn’t working…not sure why. But he is on the list in the campaign section. Just click the jungle picture to take you there.

New Evidence
 







Lucius scans the letter and nods at Dayton, Good work.

Then to Samuel, he says, This letter is proof of Soludra’s involvement with Septum. Eyewitness accounts don’t place him definitively with the dwarf until after the worst of the crimes were committed, but it is likely that his magic had a significant part to play. With your leave I will take this as evidence.

If Samuel agrees, Lucius will turn to Dayton, _We have what we came here for, I think that we had best depart. Gather the men outside. We will need to recover Captain Selford and his men before organizing our pursuit.

New Evidence
 

Jabilo points at the henchman
You! Put that back this instant! I warn you not to touch anything on the shelves in here. You could seriously injure your self or your friends with several of the items in here; I demand you treat them with the utmost respect if you know what’s good for you!

New Evidence
 

So what is the plan?
Jabilo will scout around the yard a bit looking for something to cover up the “door” we created. Worst case will find a good sized rock and use stone shape to fill the gap.
Jabilo is eager to head to Haven without delay. He would like to visit Nilander to see if he can uncover more of the big picture. Privately he has lost interest in the specific allegations against Septum and Soludra. He is much more curious about what is motivating them. He is certain that little will be accomplished blindly pursuing Septum and Soludra other than the loss of more lives. This will likely end up putting him at odds with Lucius and Dayton… Jabilo is not sure what Sunbow thinks of the situation perhaps we will try to broach the subject with him privately in the evening.

New Evidence
 

“I would think we should rest before continuing,” he announces, and also informs Lucius of the magically protected hatch in the back room. “I, unfortunately, have not the knowledge required to circumvent the protections, however.”

“If you feel we must depart immediately, I will of course accompany you, though if you come across any more explosions or blades turned your way before we rest for a time, I will be of little assistance.”

New Evidence
 







Do you know how to lower the wards on this door? Lucius asks Samuel?

New Evidence
 





No Sir Knight. As I said earlier, I only have the key to the wards for this room. I can tell you that the cellar is simply a summoning chamber though. I’m unsure if there is anything new in the room as I have not been there since we first met; but, I think, out of safety, most summoning chambers are kept empty.

New Evidence
 







I think it best that we assume Samuel to be correct concerning the cellar. We have what information we came for anyway. It seems that we would be best to make for Haven with all haste. Are we in agreement?

New Evidence
 

Okay…we need consensus and equipment prep. Please let me know if you need anything specific.

New Evidence
 

agreed

New Evidence
 

I need a gryphon, a +5 flaming holy avenger, +5 full plate, a dozen potions of cure critical wounds, three doses of oil of impact, 4 immovable rods, and a few other major magical items and minor artifacts and relics.

New Evidence
 

Sir Renly looks up from his desk with a slow and deliberate incredulity.

’I’m going to recommend you get demoted to squire.’

New Evidence
 

Sunbow doesn’t need anything except some time to rest. If we are leaving immediately, so be it. He will look for Lagniappe and let her know what has transpired as best he can, and ask her to scout ahead when we depart to alert us to possible dangers.

New Evidence
 







Alright then, it seems that we are ready to depart. Sir Dayton, please gather the men.

Once they are assembled:

Now that you have seen what we are set against, those of you wishing to turn back may do so. Any others who have the courage to continue forth will find themselves in a stalwart company, with pay, training and the knowledge that you are helping to save this country. We travel now to Haven to continue to search for the escaped Sundarian Septum and his cronies.

Lucius turns to Dayton:

Have those who turn back first use ropes to rescue Captain Selford and his men and wait with him until they are awake and ready to return to Doubt.

Reaching into his pouch and producing coins, _Give a silver to each man who turns back and a gold to each who continues forth.*

New Evidence
 





Four of the volunteers remain for the gold. The rest help gather up Captain Selford and his men, fashioning stretchers out of rope and hay. They all seem delighted at the money they have received. Coincidentally, there just happens to be four left over horses thanks to the sleeping guardsmen.

Kyle, Sil, Lund, and Ranu remain. Two Vintarans, an Ulnoran and a Centaran. They are outfitted with mismatched chain and leather armor, swords and a spear…and very little else.

The Ulnoran, Lund, speaks up tentatively

Sir, I don’t rightly have any food or water for travelling…will I be paying my way out of the coin I just received?

New Evidence
 

Jabilo paces about deep in though, mumbling to himself. he frequently looks over at the organizational effort going on to get Lucious’ contingent on the road. he briefly considers riding on ahead, but decides that it would be best to wait.

ooc. I’m going to be away the next couple of days. I’ll check in Sunday when I return.

New Evidence
 

Davies nods. Sunday sounds fine to him, too. That way he can practice speaking in the third person some more. He thinks it sounds cool, but it really just makes him sound pretentious and douchy.

New Evidence
 

Dave, I’ll put up a list of supplies that Lucius has oan his character sheet. I realized that it isn’t on the site.

Lucius will turn to Lund and say, So long as you serve me faithfully I shall do my best to care for your basic needs.

New Evidence
 

Yes updated equipment lists would be nice…just in case I want to run a survival scenario…or make you slaves…or make one of you fall down a crevasse…or robbed by brigands…ooooh or roughed up by a teenage dragon looking for enough gold for a rock of crack.

New Evidence
 

Stupid teenagers

New Evidence
 

I’m back…
my equipment list is up to date. And my spell list is set for the next time I rest.
I’ll use prestidigitation to protect my belongings from teenagers with the music of Wayne Newton.

New Evidence
 

Okay. I’ll push forward…I was just waiting for potential discussion.

New Evidence
 

While the army is getting it self organized to move Jabilo will see if he can get Sunbow’s take on the situation at hand. He will attempt to phrase his current thoughts on events.
_I think we need to discover the true intentions of the various parties in this drama. The way I see it the decent course of action is to attempt to return this totem to it rightful owners. It is my opinion that this totem constitutes a peace charter between a people and their deity. To treat it as I feel many are trying to is drawing the ire of powers we can not begin to comprehend._
In my observation the Lizardmen covet the totem mostly for the practical utility they seem able to extract from it.
The Lucidians fear it as they do with all they do not wish to understand. They wish to lock it away, to deny it to their enemies.
The Sandorians I am not sure about. It is possible they may see things the way I do and only wish to return the item to the people of Toltec. but I have my doubts, they may wish to keep it for them selves, or perhaps ransom it back to it’s rightful owners.
I am sure the longer the totem is away from it’s rightful owners the greater price will be extracted from all peoples of this land.
How do you see events Sunbow?

New Evidence
 

“I feel much the same way…excepting that I do not see ‘ownership’ as you say, though I expect you use the word because a better one is difficult to apply. I think we should aid in the attempt to return it to the ones who respect it, and during that course should attempt to establish what exactly it is.

“It may be, as you guess, representative of a deal with a spirit of some kind…or it may be the literal containment of a spirit of some kind…in any case, I think we must determine what and why it exists before we can rightly say that it has an ‘ownership.’

“I think our best course of action for now is to follow the metal-clad ones, for they, at least Lucius, is good…and I’m afraid to not trust in the good may lead inevitably to being part of evil. It may be that intervention is necessary further down whatever path we follow…I agree that the current situation is doing serious damage to our world.”

New Evidence
 

You are right Sunbow, I am glad I sought your wisdom. I spoke more harshly than I intended of the Lucidians, from those I have met they seem to be a generally good and noble people. Lucious is an exemplar of their spirit. Perhaps with time and the understanding that we seek the right path may become clear to all of us Lucious included.
__
I must admit the information I have on the totem is murky at best and may be entirely fabrication. study is required to insure our action does not simply worsen the situation.
yes ownership is not an accurate term for what I understand this gift to be.
There is even the chance that these events are not so much about a stolen artifact but a test or reinvigoration of the snake peoples enterprise,an atonement quest for a whole people…
I for one am not happy to play the pawn. Unravelling this mystery seems the only way to extract ourselves from this path of needless destruction.
I hope speak with Nilander, perhaps he can shed some small light on the situation. though I doubt he will have the information we need.

New Evidence
 

“I did not say the Lucidians are good…only that I believe this one is. We must not lump people together, my friend. Some berries nourish, while others that look the same will kill.

“let us learn first, and then…we will see.”

New Evidence
 

I promise a post tomorrow. Its great to actually see the discussion! There is a fair bit of information dispersed between the characters…it doesn’t always seem evident right away.

New Evidence
 

Sir Dayton to Lund: Hey, pull my finger.

New Evidence
 

“Hey Jabilo, what do you suppose is the purpose of the Lucidians’ ‘pull my finger’ thing?”

New Evidence
 

OOC (Obviously): Hey Dave-O! Free screening of “West Wind: The Vision of Tom Thomson” at the Kamloops Art Gallery at 7 pm on Aug 2 (Next Thurs). You want I should reserve an extra seat? You can crash on the couch after if you want.

New Evidence
 

Probably can’t go. Will be crashing with Chris and Katherine on the 27th and 28th though…so I should see you there. Need to pick Amy up in Van on the 10th of Aug…are we still raiding Trev’s backyard that day? I’m not sure I can make it…but it’s a goal.

After that we need to figure out the move…how much stuff to take out of storage because the teacherage is furnished. It is about a 4-5 hour drive from here to Anahim lake…so it is further than we originally thought. Then need to book back down for Trevor’s wedding…and then right back to get Amy to a seminar in Williams Lake. August is going to be busy for us.

New Evidence
 





After equipping what you need, the eight of you ride north toward Tek. The grasslands seem to go on forever, until late in the afternoon you start to see, on the misty horizon to the north, the rounded peaks of the Simbon mountains covered, as if infected, by jungle. You pass scant few travelers…none of which offers any reliable information.

With everybody mounted, and no wagons or jungle to slow you down, you make much better time than you are used to. In fact, you ride into the town of Tek after only a day and a half of traveling. The baked hard clay of the worn road makes traveling very easy and fast.

Tek is a strange town of tents, huts, and stone buildings. The strangest features are two very deep flanking crescent-moon chasms in the center of town. Tents and huts surround the chasms in a seemingly haphazard manner giving the town a look of multicoloured patches similar to a gypsy caravan. Horses, cattle, goats, and chickens roam the streets unattended while the populous goes about its daily life.

On the east end of town there is a substantial gated community with many stone homes and a large church facing the front entrance to the neighborhood. A keep to the north of the church flies the banner of the Lantern Knights. As you look past the stone section you see plot after plot of well tended farmstead extending well off into the distance toward what you assume would be the road to Respite.

There are distinctly fewer refugees in Tek and you get the general feeling it is a bit of a rougher town. The people of the Yun’lou Grasslands have a bit of a more drastic reputation that the relatively meek people of the eastern jungle.

Nobody guards the entrance to the town and no one pays you mind as you follow the street toward the center of town…where a four-way crossroad stands.

The crossroad bears the road markers of Respite, Haven, Sol, and Doubt as well as a hearty market in full swing in the height of the afternoon. The loud cries of the merchants, the thick smell of the animals, and the arid heat of the sun mix a murky miasma of humanity in the small town of Tek.

New Evidence
 







Lucius twists in his saddle to look at his companions, I should like to speak with the garrison commander to see if anyone matching the description of Septum or his guards has been through Tek. Perhaps Sunbow and Jabilo could survey the market to see if there is any clue as to their whereabouts. We must all be on guard, however. The letter asks Solundra to accompany the Sundarian at least this far. It may be that he is no longer in their company. Beware of a man in a cloak with three stars on a white field. Perhaps we should devise a place to meet and a signal in case of trouble.

New Evidence
 

OOC: I’ll comment on this in character tomorrow. Just popping in to check things out here before continuing my drama-filled work-week. I’m still gonna wreck Trevor’s yard…I mean be at Trevor’s place…on the 10th, yes. And I will certainly see you on Saturday and we can figure more out then.

New Evidence
 

Bring your guitar.

New Evidence
 

Haha. Pam was telling Sven about the weekend, and said that you were gonna be there, and Sven got all excited because “Dave has guitar!” He has apparently also determined that we’re going to see baby ducks, go on a slide, and see puppies. I just hope he’s not too excited to sleep, and can sleep in a tent when he’s never done that before.

New Evidence
 

i’m off to the lake. i’ll check the site tomorrow!

New Evidence
 

Jabilo will check out the chasms to find out what they are about. Then he will check out the market or find a public house depending on the time of day in order to find out the news in town.

New Evidence
 







Alright, Lucius says, We will meet at the crossroads in an hour.

He turns to Sir Dayton and hands him a small purse of silver saying: Find a place to rest the horses and feed the men. Keep them from getting drunk, however.

He turns his horse north towards the holdfast and pics his way through the streets towards it.

New Evidence
 

Excuse the intrusion, but since this seems to be the easiest way to get a hold of Trevor:

Tuesday night the Haywood family (and hopefully the Simcox family) are hoping to meet up with the McAfee/Pringle crew. We were picturing a BBQ at that house across from Pinaus Lake (sp?) road in Westwold. Let me know so I can pass it on. If not Tuesday then maybe Wednesday? My parents are coming out Thursday for 3 days, so that’s pretty much our last chance…

New Evidence
 

Did we figure out a meeting place/signal, because Sunbow isn’t about to go off into a strange town separated from everyone, and will likely accompany Jabilo on their information search.

New Evidence
 

Sorry guys…just got back online late last night…and was in town most of today…and moving boxes and fixing a window the rest…er well…the thing is I don ‘t think I will get to this until probably Thursday after noon or Friday night…It look sas though I’m not gonna make it to Trevor’s on the 10th for drunken camping. So bear with me for a few more days I’ll post for a couple and then I will be in limbo for at least another week. I’m moving to the middle of nowhere.

New Evidence
 

Take whatever time you need, Dave-O. If I had any extra I’d lend you some, but I sure don’t.

New Evidence
 

Yeah, I’m really busy right now too (trying to wrap up big project before wedding, etc) and then it looks like I may be spending a good chunk of September in Creston, probably without any internet access. If you guys have some time in a couple of weeks we should shoot for a face-to-face (with Dave here or on skype) or a straight up skype game.

New Evidence
 

I don’t know when that would be. When I say I’m busy, I really mean it. I get to do adsales on top of my own job for the next bit…I might be able to get a couple hours on a skype session from the office one night mid-week, but all my weekends are totally booked, and all weekdays until probably 7 or so.

New Evidence
 

Okay. I’m sitting in a small school, in the middle of nowhere, with the equivelent of dial-up. We are looking into satelite internet; but, unless I manage to find another way, I’m thinkin’ Skype is out for the next little while. I do have the next post written up on my laptop and will transfer it on here hopefully without having to completely retype it. So either tomorrow or the next day I should get the post up.

Dave

New Evidence
 

Whatever it takes, Dave-O. Like I said, I’m in no hurry here. Any gaming, even if it’s slow going, is better than none, and I don’t have time to do much more than check once a day and take a turn.

Also, I’m off-grid Thursday to Sunday this week. Just so everyone knows.

New Evidence
 

Holy crap, Dave, and I thought I was rural. Your living in a place that backwaters call “backwater”

New Evidence
 

Am able to snag neighbors internet! Will bring over my computer tomorrow so I can post the next one. Yeah, Trev, Telus doesn’t recognize our address, satellite companies don’t want to travel the distance to install and we are to ‘phone back sporadically’ to see if anything has been resolved because there is no cell service within a 280km radius.

People regularly drive 3.5 hours to go shopping and then drive 3.5 hours back.

I now have a PO box though…so I got that going for me.

We really like it so far though.

New Evidence
 

I suddenly very much want to send you a postcard.

New Evidence
 

PO Box 141
Anahim Lake, B.C.
V0L 1C0

New Evidence
 





Lucius

After giving Dayton his orders, and nodding to Sunbow and Jabilo, you head west to the tall iron gate shrouding the Vintaran district of Tek. There is no guard at the post and the manhole remains open for locals to pass through. Walking only a few steps into the community you feel a palpable lessening of the clamor that permeated the rest of the town. With only a cursory glance at the modest church, you walk north to the squat square keep astride the local Lucidian church.

Coming up to the keep you notice a small stable that seems empty and a freshly groomed exercise yard bereft of novices. Without the advice of a guard at the door you enter and find yourself in front of a burly looking Ulnoran furiously writing at a small table in the entrance hall.

Quite comically the knight is crouched half on a wooden chair, half hovering, hunched over the table while in fully polished plate, a shield on his back and two swords splayed out on either side jostling back and forth as he concentrates on his writing. He looks up, squinting in the bright daylight, and is about to say something before he quickly screws his face in surprise and stands quickly: launching the small table across the room to clatter at you feet and loosening the paper into the air to drift lazily back and froe like a hypnotist’s watch.

When the last strums of the upturned table echo though the hall, and the paper has almost reached its final swoop the night awkwardly settles his swords and then salutes with a quill in his hand as he barks a “Sir,” like a chastened novice.

A quick look at the three opened doors in the hall confirms that the keep is abandoned save for this clumsy knight.

Can I help you Sir?

Sunbow and Jabilo

The markets are rife with movement (human and animal) stirring the malodorous delights of worked hide, fresh meat, hard labor, and penned animals. The buzz and hum of the market is physical and must be navigated like the shoals of a delta lagoon. It doesn’t take long to see that many of the vendors perch and build their shanty businesses right on the edge of the twin crescent chasms: and in some cases hang down into it. There are several pedestrian bridges spanning the narrow canyons and many people seem to be sitting on the edge in reverent prayer. Upon closer inspection, the depths of the chasms seem to be elusive, and after only the most terse of conversation with a local confirms the fact that many believe the pits to be bottomless.

It seems the Yun’lou tribes have been coming here for generations to worship the spirits of the earth. The ceremonies consist of everything from votive offerings, flagellations, furtive prayer, sacrifices, to serene meditation. The type of offering depends on the type of blessing required and the strenuousness of the need.

After only a few minutes of careful conversation you speak with a falconer named Spik who spoke with Kaymar only yesterday.

Yeah, that skinny wizard rushed through here yesterday just before the markets closed. Didn’t buy anything, but he was cordial. Was hangin’ out with a dwarf and a snarling human, wanted to know if I had heard anything ‘bout the lizardman army and if we had put the boots to them yet. Then he asked if I knew of anyone who had a ship and was headin’ to Haven. I says, most of the plainsmen don’t take with the tars so I wasn’t too sure…but ifin anyone was to have that kind of claim they would probably be stayin’ at the Olive Grove Inn in Westgate.

So, he gives my hand a shake and says next time he’s in town he will take a good look at my birds. I says he should as I got some of the smartest raptors in the Northern Kingdoms.

New Evidence
 

Sunbow would like to ensure that this man’s birds are indeed being taken care of well and are happy with their lives. If they are not, he will make a mental note to free them at his first convenience, but not do anything rash, as his focus must remain on the idol for right now.

OOC: I’m off to Toronto and will check in Sunday night late (if I remember once I get home) or Monday morning at the office (more likely)

New Evidence
 







At ease, Sir Knight. Where has the garrison gone? Who commands here?

New Evidence
 





The ulnoran seems to blush a little.

Captain Bellan commands this post. He and a small party of knights took after a group of brigands just two days ago. We are the last of the garrison after the lizardfolk offensive stripped our barracks bare.

I’m to keep the keep while the Sunsweep warriors are to keep the peace. I was just writing a missive to my family up north when you came in.

He straightens his swords awkwardly and shifts the weight on his feet back and forth.

What can I do for you, Sir?

New Evidence
 







I am seeking a group of outlaws who escaped from Doubt some days ago. They murdered several local guardsmen, villagers and even Lantern Knights in their escape. They are led by a dwarven merchant named Septum and are accompanied by a wizard named Kayman Solundra.

I have reason to believe that they stopped at Tek on their way to Haven. Do you know anything of them?

Lucius crouches by the overturned table and scoops up the fallen papers, quickly glancing at them before handing them back to the flustered knight.

New Evidence
 

OOC: What time of day is it, Dave? If it was a day and a half travel from Solundra’s can I assume that it is late afternoon?

New Evidence
 

Yes late afternoon.

New Evidence
 

and in the meantime Jabilo will head over to the Olive grove inn to see what’s what. assuming Westgate is is a suburb of town not across the continent…

New Evidence
 

Am I the only one who would like some kind of synopsis to avoid having to read through pages of posts? The last thing I remember vividly was the (somehow) diplomatic resolution with the Archon (though I think I only made the check to confirm he was an outsider of some kind because I remember wishing him a safe stay here and sensing his loneliness for his own land or something). Maybe (if you have time, Dave-O) you could do up an up-to-date log of some kind documenting the journey thus far? Or even if Lucius whipped up another letter to home it would help.

New Evidence
 

I think if you to just read this thread it would give you a good ideas of where we left off.

If you need a refresher about before; Trevor has been keeping a character log up until you fought the Enn’Venook…just click on the picture at the top of this thread ( or any picture of the jungle in this thread) to get to the wiki for this campaign.

New Evidence
 





Small recap of this thread…more like cut and paste.

The devil in the back room of Kayman Solundra’s home has been vanquished. The party has split up to systematically search the home to find any incriminating evidence of involvement with Septum of Able or a clue as to his current whereabouts.

Sunbow and Jabilo searched the back. Sunbow noticed a trap door under the rug and the shackles with golden ruins on the bed. Jabilo found a very expensive assortment of lab equipment mandatory for creating potions, scrolls, and wondrous items.

While Sir Lucius and Sir Dayton took to the front room, an apparent store front for the magical wares of the owner. The place looked empty all of the display cases displayed nothing (yet were still fire trapped). During the search a large noble looking half-hound half-man creature asked the two knights to stop and leave the premises.
After treating with the creature you come to an understanding and he allows you to search the premises as long as you don’t destroy anything. During the search Dayton finds a letter:

Dearest Master Solundra,

I am writing this letter on behalf of a good friend of mine. The messenger of this missive should also have given you a Sandorian note worth a great deal of gold. It should be more than enough for payment of the transaction I am requesting; but, if it isn’t, please visit the Drunken Monkey Inn the next time you are in Haven. Ask for Ventrum and explain the situation: bring this letter.

I have a need to purchase some of your wares and a bit of your time. A famous merchant and adventurer friend of mine has come across the vindictive end of the lizardfolk nation (something I think you can relate with) and he will be coming through Doubt, hopefully by the 18th. He will have a certain amount of supplies and usually has a contingent of bodyguards to keep his head on his shoulders. He goes by the name of Septum.

What I need from you:
Six healing potions
Two potions of invisibility
Two potions of levitate
Two potions of gaseous form

I’m not sure of their condition, or the speed they will need to be travelling at, but I would like you to meet them at the Westbridge. This is where I need to purchase your time. I know they should be getting to doubt in the evening, but I’m not sure at which time. So, if you are able to wait at the bridge from after the fall of the sun to the hour past midnight it would be very helpful. Then I would humbly request you travel with them to Tek at the very least. I’m afraid they might be pursued and their enemies are very crafty. Their enemies have been known to don disguises that are even able to fool the local authorities. That is why we are requesting your help rather than the help of any local constabulary. If you are unable to attend, please send an apprentice, or another with your unique capabilities. I feel because of the danger and deception involved we need the help of an accomplished arcane.

Thank-you so much for your help,

Granbian

After searching the house Lucius asked the remaining volunteers who would continue with the chase after seeing the dangers associated with the journey…only four remained: Kyle, Sil, Lund, and Ranu.

After equipping what you need, the eight of you ride north toward Tek. The grasslands seem to go on forever, until late in the afternoon you start to see, on the misty horizon to the north, the rounded peaks of the Simbon mountains covered, as if infected, by jungle. You pass scant few travelers…none of which offers any reliable information.

With everybody mounted, and no wagons or jungle to slow you down, you make much better time than you are used to. In fact, you ride into the town of Tek after only a day and a half of traveling. The baked hard clay of the worn road makes traveling very easy and fast.

Tek is a strange town of tents, huts, and stone buildings. The strangest features are two very deep flanking crescent-moon chasms in the center of town. Tents and huts surround the chasms in a seemingly haphazard manner giving the town a look of multicoloured patches similar to a gypsy caravan. Horses, cattle, goats, and chickens roam the streets unattended while the populous goes about its daily life.

On the east end of town there is a substantial gated community with many stone homes and a large church facing the front entrance to the neighborhood. A keep to the north of the church flies the banner of the Lantern Knights. As you look past the stone section you see plot after plot of well tended farmstead extending well off into the distance toward what you assume would be the road to Respite.

There are distinctly fewer refugees in Tek and you get the general feeling it is a bit of a rougher town. The people of the Yun’lou Grasslands have a bit of a more drastic reputation that the relatively meek people of the eastern jungle.

Nobody guards the entrance to the town and no one pays you mind as you follow the street toward the center of town…where a four-way crossroad stands.

The crossroad bears the road markers of Respite, Haven, Sol, and Doubt as well as a hearty market in full swing in the height of the afternoon. The loud cries of the merchants, the thick smell of the animals, and the arid heat of the sun mix a murky miasma of humanity in the small town of Tek.

Please read the thread for any other specific info.

New Evidence
 





Lucius

The blush on the young Ulnoran’s face intensifies to a bright rosy hue.
He stammers a bit before he manages to speak as you quickly glance at a crude drawing of two knights battling: One knight obviously bigger, labelled Sully, and the other smaller one marked Bellan.

I’m sorry Sergeant, I have no knowledge of such a party of brigands. I have been ordered to tend to the keep while Ven’Skar and his Sunsweep warriors are to keep the peace while the knights are gone. They can usually be found around town…and are easy to find, as all of them have half of their head shaved and wear crimson scarves. They do like to hang around on the north side of town with their tribes’ herd of horses. They are a bit raucous, so I would be a bit careful…they definitely aren’t knights.

The young knight brightens.

Do you need any help searching the town?

Sunbow and Jabilo

After taking a quick stock of the raptors you see they are well tended. You thank the merchant and wander into Westgate. Passing the unguarded gate you notice a distinct lessening of the oppressive sound of the bustling markets over by the twin crescent canyons. Buildings in this area seem to be permanent, built of stone and heavy timber, and neatly tended. A fairly silly expense of time and energy, in your minds, should you ever need to move or accommodate a new season.

In short order you find a long squat building that some gardener has spent a great deal of time weaving plants and trees into the façade. Above the door reads a well-crafted sign labelling the building The Olive Grove…with accompanying pictures of a beer stein and olive tree.
Upon entering, intoxicating smells of sweetbread and lush odors of garlic and lamb play with your senses. A good clamour of people crowd the Inn, taking up the entire common area—not leaving a single seat available. Several more people are standing along the walls and up by the bar as a family of well worked Halflings tend the crowd. The small-folk seem engrossed in their work and don’t look up as they busily try to tend to all of their customers. Looking to your left you see a small desk with an elderly female Halfling writing something down on a large stack of papers. Past the desk you see a stretch of hall that must lead to the rooms of the inn.

If you had to guess you would say the crowd consists mostly of locals; but, you do notice the occasional garb of an obvious traveller. And at least one patron seems to have the look of a wealthy merchant.

New Evidence
 







Indeed, I think that I should speak with this Ven’Skar and his men. Lucius says handing the fallen parchment back to the knight without comment. My companions and I are in some haste. If you would be so good as to accompany me to meet with the Sunsweep warriors we may yet make up time.
Lucius turns towards the door, pauses and looks back at the knight. My apologies, brother, but I have given no introduction, nor taken your name in return. I am Sir Lucius, lately of the Fort Sun garrison.

New Evidence
 





Lucius

Sir. Sorry Sir.

He salutes you.

My name is Sully of Harngrove.

The two swords he is carrying clang together in a gangly fashion as he finishes the greeting.

I will help you find the Sunsweep tribe right away.

He quickly shoves the papers into a side pouch at his waist and jogs uncertainly to the door.

If we don’t see anyone on patrol we will head straight out to the herd.

With that he lopes out of the keep toward the gate ignoring a couple of startled expressions from some locals.

Reaching the gate he does a quick scan of the crowd and then shakes his head. He then grabs his two sword handles, like a schoolgirl grabbing the hems of her skirt, and starts running toward the north end of town.

After a short 10 minute jog…

You can see from a distance three lean warriors astride horses watch silently as you and Sully approach what appears to be a large herd of over a hundred horses. None of them make a move to indicate concern, or friendship, as Sully scampers up toward the men.

Slightly out of breath, and more than a little excited, Sully exclaims,

This is Sergeant Lucius from Fort Sun he need to talk to you regarding an important matter. He wanted to talk to captain Bellan; but, he isn’t here…so I brought him to you.

The three men regard Sully with undisguised disgust. The shorter of the men, covered with scars, makes to spit, like he has a bad taste in his mouth, but thinks better of it and eyes you top to bottom. You feel he is taking in every small facet of your countenance. For a brief second you feel the pain a horse must experience when brought to market.

Who be you now?

He drawls in a long, yet staccato, dialect of Vintaran.

They call me Ven’Skar

While probably not implied, when he speaks his name…it sounds like a threat.

New Evidence
 

Okay Mike. Trevor added another entry.

Lucius Letter Home: A Murder in Doubt

New Evidence
 







Unperturbed by Ven’Skar’s demenor, Lucius replies, “Greetings, Ven’Skar. I am Sergeant Lucius Vandrail of the Knights of Saint Clevoy. I would ask the leader of the Sunsweep warriors for some information concerning travellers who may have passed Tek in the very recent past.”

“They are a company of men led by a Sundarian merchant and may be accompanied by a Centaran in a white cloak with three stars lined up. The man’s name is Kaymar Solundra. Would you or any of your men have taken note of their passing?”

New Evidence
 





Lucius

We aren’t keeping track of who wanders through the Moons, Knight.

He turns and looks to his two companions and briefly speaks in his native tongue.

Gur’Char says that he saw a tall man walking with a muscular man and a dwarf heading into Westgate yesterday evening. They weren’t breaking the peace so he didn’t follow them. But, there aren’t many Sundarians in this area…and not many shops in that area…so…I would search there.

He eyes you again.

I think I should go with you. I don’t want you killing my people.

With a shrug, and swift leap, he mounts the horse nearest him and nudges it forward toward the town.

Sully, baffled, steps back and looks uncertainly at you.

Are you coming?

Ven’Skar asks, continuing forward toward Tek.

New Evidence
 







In due course, Ven’Skar. First I must meet with my companions. The Sundarian and his company are accomplished killers and are wanted for a host of murders in Doubt. If it is them I fear that they would see our smaller numbers as a chance to fight their way free. With greater numbers we may be able to convince them to surrender with no disturbance of the peace.

If you would accompany me, we would soon be meeting my men at the crossroads. In any event I thank you for your information

New Evidence
 







Lucius turns and rides towards the crossroads, keeping alert for any sign of Solundra, Septum or his men.

New Evidence
 

Jabilo will approach the elderly Halfling at the desk.
Excuse me, are you the clerk of this establishment?
… I am Jabilo’Zo. I have been given to understand you may have a mister Solundra staying here. Is this is so? I would like to extend an invitation to meet with him to discuss matters of mutual interest. How might this be arranged?

New Evidence
 





Lucius

You ride back into town with the young knight and grizzled plainsman in tow. You scan the crowd for any signs of your quarry to no avail. Knowing there is still an half our before the rest of the party was to meet back here you feel you can safely forge on.

Ven’Skar points toward the stone-gated community to the west that you found Sully in.

My guess would be that he did his business in there. There is but one herb shop, a smithy and an inn to trade at. Everyone else uses the markets at the Two Moons. Unless, of course they knew somebody who lives in that area.

He shrugs and waits to see what you do while gently resting his hand on the pommel of his scimitar.

Jabilo

The elderly halfling looks up at you. Upon closer inspection she is wearing very fine fabrics draped in several textures, and colours, underneath a drab cloak. She effortlessly pots her quill, shuffles a parchment to the other side of the desk, and throws sand all over the finished sheet. You know notice small spectacles perched atop her narrow pointy nose.

Mr Solundra is a regular patron of ours. He isn’t currently staying with us; but, he did drop by for a meal yesterday night. I believe he is heading to Haven as he left with a Mr Kronlot, a mercahnt of some clout in Haven.

If you would like I could leave him a message…as he stays here quite frequently. He has a business in Doubt that he will need to get back to.

She grabs the quill again and settles in on a fresh sheet of paper.

Who may I say is inquiring?

New Evidence
 







Lucius turns in the saddle to look from Ven’Skar to Sully.

There is a shop dealing in herbs here? It seems that this would be a likely place for Solundra to have stopped at. Perhaps we should take a few moments to enquire there.

New Evidence
 

Mr Jabilo’Zo; but no matter. I am the way to Haven my self as it happens. I hope I will be able to make his acquaintance there or it will be some time before I will be able to again… you wouldn’t perchance know where I should inquire after him while in Haven?

… Kronlot? that name stirs something in my mind… is Mr Kronlot of any particular renown?

New Evidence
 

that was not meant to be strike through…

New Evidence
 

Mike, are you even reading any of this?

New Evidence
 





Lucius

The two Tek residents lead you back through the gate and into Westgate. Again, you hear the dampening of the bustle of the market and see the stark contrast from wood and canvas temporary structures to solid stone buildings. People in this area of town have spent time to cultivate the land and grow trees and shrubs to beautify the environment. You pass an Inn that is completely covered with climbing plants and down a path toward a small cottage that is surrounded by crisp rows of plants and herbs that remind you of the gardens of Vintara. There is a wooden sign hanging from the door that reads: Apothecary Samuel Mendrite.

Sully and Ven’Skar flank the door and take up sentry positions as you walk through the threshold of the small business.

The front room of the cottage is cleanly swept and orderly. There is a pungent smell of sage and rosemary and you notice a great deal of the herbs tied and hanging from the walls. Even though it is a pleasant temperature outside, a small fire burns in a hearth raising the temperature to a nearly uncomfortable level. You hear a jaunty tune being hummed in a deep baritone just past the only other door you see.

After a few seconds the tune stops and the voice intones,

I’ll be right out, I just need to finish cutting these sprigs…if I leave them they will dry out too much…

You hear some shuffling and then the mild smell of paraffin and then a large Centaran steps out of the back room ducking under the lintel. He presents a large white smile and intones again in his deep baritone.

Welcome Sir Knight, how may I help you today?

Jabilo

As you ponder upon the elderly halflings words you can’t seem to place the name Kronlot. But, you do remember the name Nilander…and you have his address.

Well…as I understand it Sir Zo, Kronlot’s family runs several shipping houses and runs most of the docks. So I imagine if you were to look for him…I would try the docks in Haven. I think the family also controls some property in the merchant district as well. Mr Solundra was travelling with a Sandorian…and they seem to own most of the shipping business in the world these days, so, I imagine if you inquire of any of those circles you will find your friend.

In fact, there is a movement in Haven by some of the merchants to allow the Sandorian Guilds more power to eliminate smuggling and extortion that tends to linger at the docks. The Knights seem to be good at stopping brawls but aren’t so good at administrating the trade. But, what do you do?

The Elderly woman makes a motion to another patron standing behind you in line.

If there isn’t anything else, I should please take care of our paying customers.

New Evidence
 

Hmm… I must have been thinking of someone else. Thank you for your time.

off to find Lucius.

New Evidence
 







Greetings, good man. I am hoping that you might assist me with some information. I am looking for a man who may have passed through Tek yesterday or perhaps this morning. His name is Kaymar Solundra. He may have been in the company of a Sandorian merchant named Septum. Would he happened to have visited these premises, or perhaps you may have heard of their arrival in Tek?

New Evidence
 





Jabilo

After dismissing yourself from the inn you take a brief look around. You know that the lucidian church and lantern keep are quite close to the gate and that Lucius was going to meet with the local knights; but, something down the lane catches your eye. The glinting of the sun off of a well polished suit of armour turns your attention to a group of three horses, one knight and what appears to be a plainsman. Upon closer inspection one of the horses looks to be Lucius’ horse.

Interested, you walk down the lane. As you get closer the two men seem to be flanking the door to an Apothecary with hands on weapons (though neither have them drawn). The Apothecary is a neat little cottage with very well tended gardens surrounding it. Strangely, the gardens are planted in straight rows instead of being allowed to grow naturally within the fenced yard.

You are now twenty yards from the door. Neither man has yet to notice you.

Lucius

The very tall Centaran nods politely to each sentence you speak. His smile seems genuine and reassuring. He stoops lower toward his counter so as to look you in the eyes at an even level.

It would be a pleasure to help the knights of the lantern. I know Kaymar, he has bought many things from me, he has been an exemplary customer and a good friend. I have even shared meals with him. He did stop briefly at my home hear last night, he wished to purchase some healing salves, and an admixture that would protect him from great heat.

Samuel furrows his brow a little and whipes his forearm across his forehead.

It was a strange purchase for him, and he didn’t barter…which is even stranger. He said he was looking for a component that could only be found in the heart of a fire mountain. I know, he is far more versed in the mystical than me; but, I prefer my hands in the earth, and sky over my head.

He nods, and the smile returns to his face.

I’m sorry, I didn’t see a dwarf. And, I didn’t ask him where he was going. I inquired about his business and he said he was doing quite well—which is good. But, my friend Kaymar tends to bellyache like all the other merchants around here…they never like to tell you when business is good…because it makes them look like better merchants when they survive the turmoil.

He smiles a little bit wider.

Never believe a man about the success of his business when he is trying to sell you something.

To this he laughs heartily as if to a great joke.

I’m sorry, Sir Knight, that is all I have regarding Kayman. Is he in some sort of trouble?

New Evidence
 

I will have a read of this later tonight. Not sure how I missed more than a week…wait…my computer at home went down. Promise to get caught up and post late tonight after the AGM and getting the paper off. Sorry, guys.

New Evidence
 

Trevor,

I totally didn’t see this post:

In due course, Ven’Skar. First I must meet with my companions. The Sundarian and his company are accomplished killers and are wanted for a host of murders in Doubt. If it is them I fear that they would see our smaller numbers as a chance to fight their way free. With greater numbers we may be able to convince them to surrender with no disturbance of the peace.

If you would accompany me, we would soon be meeting my men at the crossroads. In any event I thank you for your information

Sorry. If you would like to alter something—let me know.

New Evidence
 

no worries, it’s all good ;p

New Evidence
 







I’m afraid that he is suspected of several murders in Doubt, Lucius says in an even tone. I thank you for your information, Samuel.

Lucius turns to leave the shop but turns back, his brown furrowed.

Did you say, fire mountain? Is there such a mountain near here?

New Evidence
 





Samuel’s smile disappears. A look of sadness deepens his face.

That doesn’t sound like the man I know.

He lowers his head.

There may be several. As many fire mountains are only violent on the inside not showing there colours until a great explosion takes place. But, I do know of one…past Able, beside the small village of Kaelshroud. There used to be a great labyrinth of mines in that whole area; but, with the onslaught of the dwarves many have been abandoned.

He shakes his head.

He didn’t tell me where he is going; but, please keep your mind open. Murder isn’t the way of the Kaymar I know.

New Evidence
 







Lucius nods his head, and turns to go find his companions. When he sees Jabilo he says,

Have you had any luck finding Septum or Solundra?

New Evidence
 

Jabilo approaches Lucius;
I have gathered that Solundra is already on his way to the docks of Haven with a Mr. Kronlot.
what news have you gathered? perhaps we should depart without delay?

New Evidence
 

I’m almost weeping with joy that my PCs are talking to each other! :b

New Evidence
 







Ignoring the sound of joyous weeping, Lucius nods to Jabilo and says:

The men are tired, but I agree that we must depart immediately. If we delay any more they may reach Haven before us. From there they could take a ship and become lost to us. If they are still travelling with a wain they may be moving slow enough for us to overcome them. Shall we meet with the others?

Lucius then turns to Ven’Skar and Sully and says:

Many thanks for your assistance. I wish you both a good day.

New Evidence
 

Could I get a consensus that you guys want to press on. It is currently approx 4 or 5 pm. You would have approx 2-3 hours of daylight. The weather is good, and it is a well travelled road.
If you wish to travel at night…you will have to come up with some sort of reasonable navigation.

New Evidence
 

Lucius would like to press on immediately. He believes that we should force on until it is too dark to travel and then camp. If someone could scout ahead to see where our quarry might be it would be beneficial.

New Evidence
 

If only we had a druid.

New Evidence
 

Jabilo is also on board with that plan.

New Evidence
 







Lucius will head to the crossroads to meet with the others. As soon as the group is assembled he will insist that they head off immediately.

We should ride until nightfall before making camp. Our quarry is close now. We must be extra wary. They have proven that they are ruthless and capable and they probably suspect pursuit.

New Evidence
 

I’m not going to wait for Mike any longer. I’m going to start a new thread tonight assuming you guys rush out of town on the heels of Septum, Kaymar, and Minions.

I should let you guys know…if you are interested. If you want your characters to speak with certain fonts/colours/images/borders…ect I can now create ‘div wrap’ tags that you can surround your text with and will show up on your posts. I’m just learning…so it might take so tinkering and time…but I’ll give it a shot.

Dave

New Evidence
Wild_Gazebo Wild_Gazebo

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.